Adapted from a recipe provided by The French Pastry School, Chicago, IL
YIELD: 4 dozen cookies
PREP TIME: 30 minutes, plus chilling if needed
COOKING TIME: 12 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 42 minutes
- ½ cup (8 oz) Plugrá® Extra Creamy Butter, unsalted
- ½ cup + 1 tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
- Beat butter and sugar in an electric mixer on medium speed until well blended. Scrape down bowl and add egg yolk and vanilla. Continue beating on medium speed until thoroughly mixed.
- Mix half the flour and salt into the butter mixture, mixing on low speed until almost completely incorporated, then add remaining flour and mix for 1 more minute.
- Remove the dough from the electric mixer, knead for a few turns. Refrigerate the dough for 1 hour if it is too soft to roll.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Divide the dough into 3 equal pieces and work with one at a time, keeping the others refrigerated.
- Lightly dust a work surface and rolling pin with flour. Roll the dough to about 3⁄8” thick and cut into circles using a cookie cutter.
- Bake the cookies until they are firm to the touch and lightly golden brown, about 12 to 15 minutes.
Strawberry Cookie Frosting
YIELD: Enough frosting to decorate 4 dozen 2-inch round cookies
PREP TIME: 10 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 10 minutes
- ½ cup (75 g) sliced strawberries
- 2 cups powdered sugar, divided
- 1 tbsp. unsalted Plugrá® Extra Creamy Butter, very soft but not melted
- 1 tbsp. light corn syrup
- ½ tsp. vanilla or strawberry extract
- Combine strawberries and ¼ cup powdered sugar in a blender or food processor and purée until smooth. Strain the mixture through a fine sieve, pressing with a spoon, to remove the seeds. Discard the seeds.
- Return the mixture to the processor or blender. Add the butter, corn syrup, and extract and remaining 1¾ cups of powdered sugar and process until smooth. Adjust the consistency with more powdered sugar or a little water.
- Spread on cooled cookies and decorate with fruit of your choice before frosting has set.